The Corona Virus has a firm grip on us all of us and has changed our daily lives. As long as no vaccine is found, we have to adapt and adjust our daily life accordingly.
Of course, this also applies to holiday destinations. As much as we all don’t want to miss your yearly vacation - wherever this might be, we have to put up with the fact that a vacation without restrictions will no longer be possible for a while.
Mallorca was only very little affected in terms of the Corona cases, but the Balearic Islands are bound by the guidelines of the Spanish central government. The fact that a vacation is now possible is thanks to the small number of cases and the strong restrictions from mid-March to mid-May. The island location has of course also favored this.
It is essential to avoid further infections and thus prevent another wave of outbreaks. Therefore, the Spanish government has also decided that a general mask requirement has been imposed from 13.07.2020. This is purely a preventive measure!
What does this mean for an upcoming vacation in a booked holiday rental?
As already mentioned, a travel warning is not a travel ban. A distinction must also be made whether you have booked a package tour or an individual tour, because the legal situation is different here. In addition, you have booked via a German agency, hence German travel law applies.
For an individual trip, i.e. If you have booked the flight, accommodation and rental car separately and independently of each other, the modules must be viewed and assessed individually, because the conditions are different for each module.
This means that if your flight is canceled, you are not automatically entitled to a free cancellation of your accommodation - the same applies vice versa.
In the event of a travel warning you have according to German law no legal right to rebooking or cancellation your booked holiday rental free of charge.
Anyone who cancels their booked accommodation in this case must expect the cancellation fees specified in our terms and conditions. A subsequent possible quarantine, consequences regarding your job or the fear of infection are legally no reason for a free rebooking or cancellation.
Nevertheless, we always try to find a solution that is acceptable for both parties (guests and owners), which always depends on the goodwill of the respective owner.
Please contact me by email if you have any questions about an upcoming vacation..
Stricter security measures have been implemented on Mallorca since June 21, 2020 to contain the spread of the virus.
This means in particular:
* Everybody as of age 6 must wear a mask in public rooms.
* The mask must be worn in all shops and when entering restaurants. As soon as you are at your table to have food and/or drinks you can of course remove the mask.
* You do not need to wear a mask on the beach, on the beach promenade if the security distance of 1,5 meters may be guaranteed.
* You do not need to wear a mask if you are alone or with the family in the nature.
A cloth or scarf is not enough, a correct mouth and nose protection is mandatory. You can get these in almost all supermarkets for 0.60 euros/pc.
Exception for the mask requirement:
* Children under the age of 6 are exempt from the mask requirement
* People with breathing difficulties are also exempt from the mask requirement.
* There is no need to wear a mask on the beach or in swimming pools
* You do not have to wear a mask during sports
* There is no mask requirement when eating food and drinks in restaurant or bars.
Furthermore, the following rules also apply:
* Smoking of water pipes is not permitted
* A maximum of 30 people are permitted in closed rooms
* Meetings or outdoor events are possible for up to 70 people
* Masks are compulsory at family gatherings if a safety distance of 1.5 meters cannot be ensured.
* At weddings, a maximum of 150 can be inside a room and a maximum of 250 outside.
If the above measures are violated, a fine of 100 euros is to be expected.
What does that mean for your vacation on Mallorca?
It may all sound worse than it actually is. Ultimately, it is only for your own protection and that of everyone else. You can move around anywhere, you just have to wear a mouth and nose protection. This is often no different in many other countries and has been common practice in Asia for several years. A vacation is absolutely possible, you just have to adapt to the circumstances.
Here are some answers to questions you may have regarding your vacation.
* In the holiday accommodation you have booked, you can of course move freely without a mask.
* If you have booked an apartment in an apartment complex, you must wear a mask as soon as you leave the apartment, i.e. within the complex. You can remove the mask when staying at the pool.
* There is generally a mask requirement as soon as you leave your accommodation, no matter if you have booked an apartment or a house.
* There is no mask requirement in the car if you are alone in the car or if you belong to one family. If you are not from the same household, a mask must also be worn.
* A mask must be worn when walking to the beach, on the beach itself it can be removed. Families may lie together, there is no minimum distance requirement in this case.
These measures have only been implemented to prevent the virus from spreading further and thus prevent a second wave of infections and thus enable all holiday-makers to stay on the beautiful island of Mallorca.
According to the Balearic Prime Minister Francina Armengol, this is a purely preventive measure in order not to jeopardize the goals achieved with previously strict regulations.
Mallorca's main source of income is tourism - many livelihoods of retailers, restaurateurs, tour operators etc. are dependent on the income from the tourism business and therefore these measures are certainly understandable and sensible.
For al those who have already booked a stay in Mallorca::
Please also note the new entry requirements due to the Corona security measures.
You can find this under the following link SpTh. Download the app mentioned here, preferably on your mobile phone, so you have everything ready and avoid unnecessary delays.
Since the download for IOS devices is not yet available, you can also download and fill in the necessary documents directly on the website.
In this form the location, length of stay, name, home address, telephone number, age and ID number are requested. This way, the authorities can locate and contact guests in the event of an incident.
When arriving at the airport, the temperature of the arriving guests is measured using a scanner and the QR code is used to decide whether a corona test is required.
Entry requirements for Mallorca:
Please also take note of the new entry regulations due to the Corona security measures.
You can find these under the link SpTh below. We recommend downloading the app mentioned here, preferably on your mobile phone, so you have everything ready and avoid unnecessary delays.
Should there be any problems with the download you can also download the necessary documents directly on your computer and fill them out at home before departure.
The place of residence, length of stay, name, home address, telephone number, age and ID number are queried here. In this way the authorities can locate and contact the guests in the event of an emergency due to covid-19.
When arriving at the airport, the temperature of the arriving guests is measured using a scanner and should there be any unusual measurements it might be required to due a corona test.
Corona Virus - entry regulations for the UK:
As a resident or visitor traveling to the UK from ANY country, you need to provide your contact and journey details via an online locater form 48 hours prior to entering the UK. Otherwise you might encounter details upon entering the UK.
Further you will need to self-isolate in the place you are staying for the first 14 days upon returning the the UK. There are different regulations when traveling to Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland. Should you refuse to provide your details as required you may be fined up to £100 and up to £1,000 when you refuse to self-isolate. Please find detailed information also at gov.uk.
COVID test center at UK airports
Travelers returning to the UK will find a COVID test center at Heathrow Airport, Terminal 2
The cost for the test is about £100. So far Heathrow is the only airport with a Coroan test center facility, hence, when arriving at any other airport or in case they have not been tested travelers will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine.
The above restrictions are by law not a reason for a discount on an already booked accommodation or a reason for cancellation.
The information given here is made to the best of our knowledge and belief and is not guaranteed.